Monday, August 25, 2008

Friends - and how they can make you feel good

It feels good to know that you are important in someone else's life, that someone considers you to be a "near and dear" one. I was looking for another apartment in Hyderabad since my parents were planning to come over and stay with me for most of the year. But then due to unavoidable circumstances, this nice little plan got postponed. When I told this to one of my apartment mates, that person (Let's say X, I am not using he/she very deliberately, apologies if "that person" or X sounds artificial) simply said "I feel good actually; good to know that you wont be moving and we will still be staying close to each other" (X said it in Bengali of course, said this straight from the heart; and its way beyond my very limited skills in English to do a translation which does justice to the underlying feeling). Now before you start making up some assumptions and judgements of your own, let me clarify that this was not selfish from X's perspective; X was also disappointed that my parents would not be able to come stay with me permanently, X shared the same disappointment I had. But X was also genuinely happy that we will still be staying close to each other. Strange, isnt it, this apparent colflict of emotions, feeling 2 apparently opposite things at the same time (or is it?). But I digress... What was heart warming was the sincerity in the statement, and I will reiterate, at the cost of sounding boring and repetitive, that is felt good, really really GOOD. The unnamed X, if you are reading this post, a heartfelt THANK YOU :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Ananth said...

:)

11:23 PM, August 25, 2008  
Blogger nil said...

Sweet post =)
Keep blogging! ;)

4:03 PM, August 26, 2008  
Blogger sray said...

having known ur too good to be true kinda parents........I quite feel Mr.X has made a very wise decision.........noh just kiddin......am really glad that there r ppl in this world who never forgets to appreciate their friends giving them a thoughtful acknowledgement - who we are unfortunately taken for granted more than a several time.

9:04 PM, September 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home