Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Time… and hope

This was a picture taken during our recent trip to Wayanad. It remains one of my favorites, a snapshot in time which makes me think.. and wonder

_MG_5604

To me, it depicts the eternal flow of time , from the old to the new; the seamless flow from the sleepy, ancient ruins of a forgotten temple still basking in its long-lost, yester-year glory to the vibrant, modern perspective of a young lady looking ahead, ready to take on what the future has to offer and make the world her own. It’s a cycle, the “chakra” of time each and every one of us go through, irrespective of whether we want to or not; somehow, this seems to capture the essence of life - albeit in reverse order. We start off by daring to stare at the future, ready to take on the next big challenge and scale greater heights; then someday, somehow we find ourselves peeping back longingly into those glory days. And THAT moment, as the past takes over from the future, as regrets start taking the place of dreams, we become old. Wouldn’t it be so much nicer to never let that happen, to never let our past catch up with our present and taint our future, to always have the fire of eternal hope and optimism, unshaken belief and unabashed curiosity burning brightly in our lives?

PS: A special thanks to the subject, this picture (and a lot of other things as well :) ) would be incomplete without her; an even bigger thanks to the friend who allowed me to use his DSLR for this :)

PPS: I chanced across something very similar to “regrets start taking the place of dreams” somewhere else; just can’t remember where though :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think everyone would have experinced this at some point in their life.. reading through yr post makes me go back to THAT moment.. but as you said life is a chakra and even after you have "felt old" you again go back to a phase where you start looking forward to the next big "dot" in your life as Steve Jobs calls it.

11:41 AM, January 27, 2011  
Blogger nil said...

"We start off by daring to stare at the future, ready to take on the next big challenge and scale greater heights; then someday, somehow we find ourselves peeping back longingly into those glory days."-- Beautifully composed a line. :)


...ummm, forgive me to add a tiny bit of what I think regarding this post.. You know, according to my (very) amateur mind, the past doesn't necessarily have to catch up with our present to taint our future.. Rather I'd say that if the mind is healthy and well, the mistakes of the past only make us realize in our present of how strong we were to battle it out or have the courage to lose it and yet stand alive on our feet today. This only makes us more confident, positive and ready for the future which is going to be painted according to the colors we'd like the canvas to have :)
I think it all depends on perspective.. But hey that was just my side of the story!

Really well written, nevetheless! Sorry if I got carried away, just that I really liked the post and wanted to share my thoughts on it :)

-kiddo.

8:34 PM, February 01, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home